Improving Authentication Troubleshooter

Coordinator
Mar 16, 2010 at 10:03 PM

How can we improve the tool to make it more useful?

Jun 16, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I am having trouble getting a Crystal Reports to run in Vistual Studio 2008.  I get a message that it cannot find the SQL Server.  I thought I could use your tool to give me some insight.  I  first loaded the troubleshooter program up at work where I am running the x64 version of Windows 7 along with Visual Studio 2008 and SQL Server 2008.  When I try to run your tool at work it fails.  It says "Cannot connect with the given connection string.", and "Connectivity troubleshooter is not implemented yet."

So, I took the SQL Server Authentication Troubleshooter program home where I have a notebook computer  with 4 GB of memory running the x64 version of Windows 7.  I keep the notebook at home loaded with pretty much the same software as the box at work so I can test things at home.  When I run the program at home it runs. 

I ran it at home using the Monitor mode and then I tried running my Crystal Report project  from Visual Studio the Troubleshooter program ended up giving me 4 stock possible error conditions  typically telling me to check my permissions.  On my test machines I run in administrator mode.  I  am running on the server platform.  Since this is a troubleshooter program it would be nice if you could return some information like the connection string that is being sent.  If possible it would be nice to see what information it is being compared with that produces the error. 

When I go into SQL Server Tools I can create a connection to my instance of SQL Server, and to the Northwind database.  I just can't get Crystal Reports to cooperate.

Coordinator
Jun 16, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Hi John,

Thank you for the feedback.

1)The first problem - when you got "Cannot connect..." message... You have to run the tool as SQL Server sysadmin (sa, or one with Control Server permission), so you have to provide a connection string with which you can connect as admin (this is needed to be able to start xEvent session to monitor error messages), so if you it is not an admin, or connection to SQL Server cannot be established using given string, you will see this error. Did you try to connect with this string?

2) Monitoring mode is designed just to give an aggregate info of all 'Login failed' errors happens, it doesn't do analysis of the root cause of the error. Thank you for the ides of adding connection string to the info. I will look into it. Try to run the tool in analyze mode (without -M) - it will give you more details of what happened.

Thanks again, Lyudmila

Jun 16, 2010 at 8:01 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I was logged in as an administrator. I was able to get the program to work at my work site by specifying the server as localhost.
I found the answer to my problem by using the Visual Studio debugger. The Microsoft Crystal Reports sample I was trying to run was trying to access SQL Server 2000 which was specified in the app.config file. With the debugger I was able to see the actual connection string that was being sent.

>>> On 6/16/2010 at 12:36 PM, in message <CO1MSFTVADM02TuylJc0002c83a@CO1MSFTVADM02.SND.RNO.GBL>, "Lyudmila" <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi John,

Thank you for the feedback.

1)The first problem - when you got "Cannot connect..." message... You have to run the tool as SQL Server sysadmin (sa, or one with Control Server permission), so you have to provide a connection string with which you can connect as admin (this is needed to be able to start xEvent session to monitor error messages), so if you it is not an admin, or connection to SQL Server cannot be established using given string, you will see this error. Did you try to connect with this string?

2) Monitoring mode is designed just to give an aggregate info of all 'Login failed' errors happens, it doesn't do analysis of the root cause of the error. Thank you for the ides of adding connection string to the info. I will look into it. Try to run the tool in analyze mode (without -M) - it will give you more details of what happened.

Thanks again, Lyudmila

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Edited Feb 3, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I had an error which I ended up figuring out but did notice there's no right-click->copy in the gui tool; one has to know ctrl-c. Maybe I will try adding that and submit a patch :)

Hmm... another sql server, another login issue: SSPI handshake failed with error code 0x80090304 while establishing connection with integrated security. Unfortunately, it is SQL 2005. Is there no way to add support for this prior version? Doubt I am smart enough to submit a patch for this one. :(